Monday, December 05, 2005

Lost in Ueno & Kabura nani? <5 Dec 05>


It is today that Ajarn will go home. Before we seperate, we go shopping near Ueno station. Some cool stuffs there. Lots of nice shirts, sweater, coat and expensive scarf (19,000 Yen burburrey brand). Well, I don't want to spend my money for that when I have to use my money for surviving here. Just take a look desire to have it. I also found the supermarket that sells food under that building. It's time for me to buy stuffs for cooking. I get rice (Japanese rice is chubby but small), sausages, eggs , porks, ketchup, mizo paste. Cost is quite high, it's about 5-10 times comparing to Thailand. 300g of pork is about 500 Yen = 170 THB. The big problem is oil, I saw the bottle that looks like oil both its shape and color. I confirmed it again with the cashier but unfortunately she cannot speak English at all, just keep speaking Japanese (but she looks cute na). Therefore I take it, but after I meet with Ajarn again he said that it's a kind of vinegar. Oh.. my god, I waste my money. So I ask him how to say oil in Japanese on the way to the station that we will seperate. I got it "kabura". Its sound like caburetor that we use in the car engine, so I map with it. We seperate very quickly because Ajarn has to catch the coming train. Oh.. now I'm lonely and have to encounter everything by myself.


I walk back to the other Ueno station for taking the train to tsurumi (my home). It takes several minutes to know the direction and ticket price from here to tsurumi (station of my home). I buy it and get into the train system. Ahh. I saw the sign but it doesn't say anything about tsurumi. It writes about the terminal station. That one is quite familiar to me, so I take that way. After pass two stations, I got shock because it's not the correct way. This way is the way that I used it on the first day to hotel but I don't intend to use it now. So I bring a lot of my stuffs and get off the train. Change the direction and return to the correct way.. Finally, reach my home station.. Wow.. how smart (or stupid) I am? We have to learn from mistake so we can memorize it quickly.



On the way to my home, I stop by some supermarket to buy oil. The vender is a guy who wears whiskers. He looks like Yaguza from movie. However, I have to speak in Japanese now. "Kabura arimasuka?" (Do you have Kabura?) He silences for a sec and I ask again. It seems that he's so confusing and ask me back "Kabura nani?" (What is Kabura). Oh.. god damn bless me, what's wrong with my Japanese? I have to use my body language and say cooking cooking and oil oil like foreigner want to buy something from local Thai. He finally knows what I mean and bring me to the oil and say "korewa abura desu". Ahh.. actually, it is "Abura" not "Kabura. I made a mistake again. The bottle of oil looks like the one uses for bathroom cleaning but i know it from color and attached picture. Just one litre of oil costs me 450 Y uh... muscular.
Today I cooked the food by myself at the first time in Japan as shown in the pictures. Very Very delicious na even it's the simple food. I can make the mizo soup which is quite similar taste to Japanese style too.

Ok.. very late night now it's about 2:00 p.m. Time to sleep.


No comments: